5.20.2011

The Globe Theatre

The New Globe Theatre is designed to look just like the Globe during Shakespeare's time. It has an open top and an old facade design. They even made the roof to look like it was thatched. The inside has a square stage, an open ground area in front for the "groundlings" or the people who stand, and then seats and boxes almost all the way around the stage. It's really cool to experience Shakespeare in a type of theatre that his generation would have as well. At the study centre we take our students to see a show there every year and make sure they get to experience on the ground! We also have a couple of different classes right now who are seeing many different Shakespeare plays while they're here.


Last night was my first show at the Globe. I saw "As You Like It." They try to perform them more like they would've in Shakespeare's time with limited set and limited costume changes. Changing your hat or jacket can mean that you are now a different character. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the performances. I didn't even mind standing! I'm looking forward to more shows at the Globe this summer. We're seeing Much Ado About Nothing and All's Well that Ends Well. I'll probably try and see Hamlet on my own as well since it's one of my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment