8.01.2011

Berlin- Day 1

After getting home from Cornwall I quickly unpacked, did laundry, and packed for my trip to Berlin. I only got a few hours of sleep before I headed to Gatwick Airport to meet my friend John in Berlin. It was easily one of my favorite cities in Europe. The first day John and I took it easy and just did the Fat Tire Bike Tour. He had just spent 8 days in Spain with his friends and running with the bulls so he was pretty exhausted as well. The tour was great! Our guide was from the UK and took us all around Berlin and told us a lot of history. We even stopped for dinner at a true Beer Garden. 

 German beer for lunch! Man it's so good there!

 The TV Tower in East Berlin where all of our tours started from.

 The picture above and below are a part of Musuem Island. John and I went and hung out there while we waited for the bike tour to start. It was nice and relaxing. The weather was amazing the entire time!

 Also note that the buildings are actually really pretty new, but they've pre-burned the materials to make them look old. Kinda crazy! 

 German University where many Nobel Prize Winners have attended. Also where the large book burning that Hitler ordered happened. Right outside the building.

 Checkpoint Charlie. The main checkpoint between East and West Berlin. Doesn't look like much today, but that's where it was.

 My 2nd favorite picture I've taken! This is at the Jewish Holocaust Memorial.

 Our beer garden!

John and I at the end of our tour. Happy, but tired.

Our hostel we stayed in was awesome! It was called Raise a Smile and it worked closely with children in Zambia. It was really small only 19 beds and they were extremely helpful and everyone was really nice who was staying there. John was leaving for a mission trip in Zambia 4 days later which made it even more perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment